Cincinnati and Blue Ash, Ohio
TMJ or TMD (Temporomandibular disorder) occurs when there are problems with the alignment of the jaw, the jaw joints and the muscles surrounding the face. The result is chronic and sometimes debilitating pain.
What causes TMJ disorder?
There are many factors which may contribute to TMJ disorder including:
- arthritis in your temporomandibular joint
- Stress, causing you to tighten your facial and jaw muscles or clench your teeth
- Injury to the jaw, temporomandibular joint, or muscles in the head and neck by a blow or impact
- Dislocation of the disc between the ball and socket of your temporomandibular joint
- Grinding or clenching the teeth
- Dislocation of the soft cushion or disc between the ball and socket
Symptoms of TMJ Disorder:
- Pain or tenderness in the face, jaw joint area, neck and shoulders
- Limited ability to open your jaw
- Locking of the jaw
- Clicking or popping of the jaw joint when opening or closing the mouth
- Difficulty chewing
- Swelling on the side of the face
- Toothaches or headaches
- Tinnitus or ringing in the ears
How Is TMD Diagnosed?
Cincinnati TMD dentist, Dr. Stuart Levy will examine you for pain and tenderness, listen for clicking or popping sounds during jaw movement, look for limited range of motion in your jaw, and examine your bite. Sometimes, panoramic x-rays will be taken to provide a more detailed view of your jaw and teeth to rule out other causes of your symptoms. In certain situations, an MRI or CT scan may be ordered as well.
For more information or if you think you may be suffering from TMJ disorder contract our Cincinnati dental office. Dr. Stuart Levy is located at 9608 Kenwood Rd. in Cincinnati and serves patients in both the Cincinnati and Blue Ash areas of Ohio.